Media Blasting, Metal Work, Body Work and Paint

I initially thought I would do my own body work.  But I got intimidated and decided that this car needed worked on by someone with much more experience than I had.  So I talked to Jeff Yergovich at R&A Motorsports and they worked me in starting in mid March 2014 and it was finished on September 11, 2014.

The car was outside for quite a few years so it was in pretty bad shape.  One of the first things moved into our house in 2003 (or rather the detached garage) was the 1970 Mach 1 and 1968 Coupe.

DSC04515 (Medium)DSC05852 (Medium)DSC05854 (Medium)DSC05855 (Medium)

Like many people, I work on cars when I get time.  And having other Mustangs, I don’t always have as much time as one would thing.

In 2008, the car was taken to Eagle Auto Stripping to be blased with a plastic media blast, then blasted with glass bead.  Imagine driving down the road and seeing this:

IMG_1675IMG_1666

As usual, there was much more rust than what I thought there would be:

IMG_1709 IMG_1699 IMG_1698IMG_1717

Fellow club member and friend Tim Davis helped deliver, pickup and prime the car:

IMG_1759 IMG_1766 IMG_1762IMG_1760

At R&A, the floor was removed and a whole floor was put back in.

Photo Apr 18, 1 33 23 PM (Large)  Photo Apr 29, 3 55 35 PMPhoto Apr 25, 8 38 32 AM (Large)Photo Apr 29, 3 58 00 PM (Large)

Of course, before that, there were lots of patches done.

Photo Apr 28, 4 47 11 PM (Large) Photo Apr 28, 4 46 57 PM (Large) Photo Apr 28, 9 19 58 AM (1) (Large)Photo Apr 29, 1 44 56 PM (Large)

Quarter patches were done on both sides.

Photo May 05, 2 12 31 PM (Large)Photo May 07, 3 42 06 PMPhoto May 05, 4 10 38 PM (Large)  Photo May 05, 2 50 19 PM (Large)Photo May 23, 12 58 20 PM (Large)Photo May 27, 9 13 36 AM (Large)

 

The battery tray was replaced, patches were done on the aprons.

Photo Jun 23, 1 18 52 PM (Large) Photo Jun 23, 4 46 54 PM (Large)

Panels were fit, doors were patched and fit getting ready for paint.

Photo Jun 27, 3 58 12 PM (Large) Photo Jul 22, 10 38 45 AM (Large) Photo Jul 29, 8 07 54 AM (Large)Photo Jul 29, 8 08 17 AM (Large)

 

 

More body work, primer, more body work….

Photo Aug 06, 2 10 06 PM (Large) Photo Aug 08, 1 58 15 PM (Large) Photo Aug 21, 4 10 35 PM (Large)Photo Aug 21, 9 06 20 AM (Large)

Since this is Dearborn built car, the under side was shot with “slop” or “batch” grey.  Ford used whatever was reclaimed and left over from shooting all cars mixed together on the undercarriage and certain parts.

Photo Aug 22, 1 56 59 PM (Large) Photo Aug 22, 1 57 11 PM (Large)

Then the car was undercoated and seam sealed in all the right places.

Photo Aug 26, 4 24 08 PM (Large) Photo Aug 26, 4 24 29 PM (Large) Photo Aug 26, 4 24 12 PM (Large)Photo Aug 26, 4 24 51 PM (Large)

Then we got color and clear.

Photo Aug 27, 2 53 38 PM (Large) Photo Aug 27, 5 05 54 PM (Large) Photo Aug 28, 9 51 04 AM (Large)Photo Aug 28, 9 51 59 AM (Large)

Other parts were painted and cleared.
Photo Aug 28, 3 58 22 PM (Large) Photo Aug 29, 4 32 45 PM (Large) Photo Sep 04, 1 07 30 PM (Large)Photo Sep 04, 1 06 52 PM (Large)

Then the engine compartment was painted.

Photo Sep 05, 3 31 38 PM (Large)Photo Sep 05, 4 00 09 PM (Large) Photo Sep 09, 8 51 54 AM (Large) Photo Sep 09, 8 53 07 AM (Large)

Stripe was painted.  Note there is no “428” in the stripes.  This car was built in October of 1969, to early to get the engine size.  A hood from a car in the same date range as mine was used as a template.  It was a 70 Twister.

Photo Sep 09, 3 21 58 PM (Large)Photo Sep 09, 3 29 13 PM (Large)  Photo Sep 09, 3 25 58 PM (Large)Photo Sep 09, 4 28 31 PM (Large)

Other black was added. Details in all the right places.

Photo Sep 08, 3 20 06 PM (Large) Photo Sep 09, 8 50 32 AM (Large) Photo Sep 09, 8 53 15 AM (Large)Photo Sep 09, 8 52 54 AM (Large)

Then the fenders, hood, decklid, valances were assembled and the car was delivered back to my shop.
Photo Sep 10, 8 40 36 AM (Large)Photo Sep 10, 1 33 13 PM (Large)IMG_8771 (Large)IMG_8782 (Large)

 

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.